Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Stuff I Like #20: St. Patrick's Day

Who doesn't love a holiday that not only gives you license to drink, but actually almost demands that you do?

One year while I was living in Los Angeles, I went to a bar downtown to enjoy the music of a small Irish band whose singer I knew. Sadly, I didn't have green beer--what was I thinking?? It was my first time at a bar, having been somewhat sheltered and quite conservative up until that point. I also hadn't developed a taste for beer yet. I sipped an Amaretto Sour and watched the subdued revelry.

The best part of the evening was when a man in a kilt came in to the bar. One of the ladies decided she was going to find out what he wore underneath his kilt! I doubt she would have done that if it had not been St. Patrick's Day. For one thing, men don't wear their kilts everyday(although they should!), and women don't go around groping men when they're sober(unless they're members of the world's oldest profession).

It was probably the best St. Patrick's Day I've spent, and I've been thinking of it quite a bit lately since St. Paddy's is coming up this Thursday. I have to say that shamrocks are quite a beautiful plant, Irish music is one of my favorite genres, and I think that I am declaring St. Patrick's Day my official favorite holiday! I am determined to find and drink some green beer this year!

No comments:

Post a Comment